Looking for fitness options and gyms in Richmond? You are in luck! The city has a very active population, and Richmond residents love getting out and staying healthy no matter what their age.
Use the list below to find your perfect fitness activity, facility or gym in Richmond, BC.
Best Fitness Gyms in Richmond
Richmond boasts a large number of gyms, most of which have extensive facilities and options that make memberships worthwhile. Find your new fitness community at any of the following local businesses:
- Richmond Olympic Oval—Former site of 2010 Olympic Speedskating events, this facility was converted into a state-of-the-art fitness centre with loads of amazing features. Swimming pools, ice rinks, basketball, badminton courts, a well-equipped gym and a rock climbing wall all offer the latest and greatest in fitness options.
- Richmond Sports and Fitness—One of the most established gyms in Richmond, RSF offers personalized instruction on a variety of fitness machines as well as classes, a hockey rink, a sauna, free weights and a women’s’ only section. They also offer competitive drop-in rates and discounts for corporate memberships.
- Russel Sean Fitness—Russel Sean offers the perfect community for those that like to get fit together. Amazing, intense and highly motivating classes such as conditioning, spin and yoga will all get you in amazing shape, both physically and mentally.
- AMPFit—At this great facility, Owen Chau the Head Instructor and Owner, award winning martial artist, teaches time-tested techniques for improving strength and well-being focusing on a sustainable, lifelong commitment to bettering the individual physically and mentally.
Other notable Richmond gyms include:
- Anytime Fitness Richmond
- Crux Fitness
- PŪR Movement
- 30 Minute Hit
Community Centre Fitness Facilities and Classes
Richmond’s Community Services division does a top-notch job at providing free and affordable classes for everyone in the area. Drop-in rates for all facilities are extremely affordable at less than $4 for children, and monthly or multiple-visit passes also offer a great value to residents.
Each class offers a chance to meet like-minded individuals in the community, so take advantage of them for yourself or your kids and view a full schedule of available classes.
Local Community Centre facilities include:
- West Richmond Community Centre — 604-238-8400, 9180 No. 1 Rd
- Thompson Community Centre — 604-238-8422, 5151 Granville Ave
- Lang Centre — 604-233-8910, 8279 Saba Rd
Public Parks and Athletic Fields
Richmond Community Services division goes all-out to create and maintain outdoor spaces for residents to enjoy. The following are some of the best parks in the area in terms of their ability to provide fitness amenities such as walking trails or sports fields.
- Terra Nova Rural Park & Natural Area — 35 acres of gorgeous, pastoral farmland surrounded by walking trails and incredible scenery
- Richmond Nature Park — 106 acres of peat bog habitat located near East Richmond with 7km of total walking trails
- Minoru Park — This lush park is located right in the heart of Richmond, next to Richmond Hospital and just across the street from Richmond City Hall. Here, you can find:
- Two artificial turf fields
- The Latrace baseball diamond
- Five tennis courts
- Two bowling greens
- A cricket pitch
- Clement Track, a regulation 400 meter competition track
- Garden City Park — Offers hiking trails around the lake and arboretum as well as a skateboard and bike park. You can also find outdoor basketball and tennis courts
You can view a full list of parks and services on our Richmond Parks and Playgrounds page, and you can also check out this useful guide to the city’s parks and leisure activities.
Yoga is thousands of years old, but its growing popularity shows how applicable it still is in this modern age. Richmond yoga lovers have a variety of studios to experience, including the following notable ones:
- Pure Freedom Yoga
- Oxygen Yoga & Fitness
- Perfect Hearts Yoga
- YYoga Richmond
- Bikram Yoga
Additionally, many of the above-mentioned community centres and gyms offer yoga classes as part of their available fitness curriculum, so make sure to look into all your available options.
Hiking Near Richmond
Want to “get away from it all” without having to go too far away? Richmond and the greater Vancouver area have some of the most incredible landscapes in the province, many of which are just a short drive away.
If you are looking to spend a full day hiking, try visiting any of these nearby parks:
- Pacific Spirit Regional Park — Located next to UBC, this forested greenway provides safe, accessible recreation just outside the Vancouver city limits.
- Iona Beach Regional Park — Hike on trails through woods and on the beach at this unforgettable peninsula park off Sea Island at the mouth of the Fraser River.
- Alaksen National Wildlife Area — If you love birds, you can find few better places on earth to observe them. It’s located on Westham Island near Delta.
- Burns Bog, Delta Nature Reserve — Burns Bog offers you a true break from civilization. At 8,600 acres, it represents the largest undeveloped urban land mass on the American continent’s West Coast. The Nature Reserve section is accessible to the public and provides nearly 3 km of boardwalks.
- Norvan Falls, Coquitlam Mountain, Golden Ears and more — Venturing north and east of Vancouver takes you to the true British Columbian wilderness. Spend a day, or several days at a time hiking, fishing, camping, biking and soaking in the breathtaking scenery.
Rock Climbing near Richmond
Rock climbing is a great full-body sport for all ages, and the Greater Vancouver area offers a bounty of both indoor and outdoor climbing options.
Great places to climb outside include:
- Lighthouse Park — At just over an hour away, Lighthouse Park provides some fairly incredible bouldering right along the Pacific coast.
- Cypress Falls Park — North of Lighthouse Park along Highway 99, you will find one of the most diverse arrays of boulders on the West Coast.
Indoor rock climbing options near Richmond include:
- The Olympic Oval climbing wall
- The Hive Bouldering Gym
- Cliffhanger Climbing Gyms
Other Fitness Activities Near Richmond
Do not hesitate to contact me, Eric Lin, if you are looking for other fitness options in the Richmond area!